Diabetes Mellitus: A Comprehensive Approach to Care
The Endocrinologists of the Pinehurst Medical Clinic provide a comprehensive approach to the diagnosis, treatment and management of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus. In order to ensure patients receive the best, most convenient care possible, our Endocrinologists have assembled a team of providers to support them in caring for our patients. This team includes certified diabetes educators, endocrinology nurses, and, when needed, registered dieticians. Laboratory technologists and technicians are also on-site and trained to provide the specialty laboratory tests ordered by our Endocrinologists.
On-Site Diagnostic Capabilities
Our Endocrinologists are certified by The International Society of Clinical Densitometry and utilize an on-site bone densitometry system with a team of certified technologists.
The Endocrinology practice has an in-office ultrasonography suite in which the Endocrinologists performed thyroid ultrasound and biopsies of thyroid nodules.
Our Endocrinologists will also utilize other on-site diagnostic services as needed, including Computerized Tomography, x-ray and pulmonary function testing.
Problems, Disorders and Diseases of the Endocrine System
What follows is a list of some of the problems and diseases our Endocrinologists are trained to diagnosis and manage.
- Adrenal Insufficiency (Addison’s disease)
- Cushing’s Disease
- Primary Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s Syndrome)
- Adrenal Cancer
- Adrenal Incidentaloma
- Paget’s disease
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol)
- Hypertriglyceridemia (high triglycerides)
- Low HDL cholesterol
- Metabolic Syndrome and Dyslipidemias
Sexual Hormone Disorders:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Hirsutism (extra male-like hair growth)
- Androgen excess (extra male-like hormones)
- Hypogonadism (low testosterone)
- Gynecomastia (development of breasts)
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) including Graves’ disease
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) including Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer
Parathyroid Disease and Calcium Disorders
- Parathyroid cancer
- Pituitary Tumors
- Hyperprolactinemia (elevated prolactin)
- Galactorrhea (abnormal breast discharge)
- Cushing’s disease
- Acromegaly (growth hormone excess)
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Hypopituitarism and panhypopituitarism